Sunday, January 30, 2011
And here's the central panel for the French Braid quilt. Design work is so much more taxing than just following a pattern. I second guess every single decision I make. I'm fairly pleased with the shape of the bunny, but now I think it needs some blue plaid accents, or maybe I should stitch it down with a pale blue blanket stitch for contrast, or something... So many decisions!
Friday, January 28, 2011
I like the pattern though, and the stitch goes fairly rapidly, even though I'm being much more careful now. I think it looks like another plowed field. 8)
Wednesday, January 26, 2011
Tuesday, January 25, 2011
Debbie did a terrifc job on it. She stippled on all the white squares in white.
Sunday, January 23, 2011
My Mom is the artist in the family, not me, but I'm not done yet. I think the legs need to be a little longer, the body a little thinner, and the whole picture is the wrong size (though a Xerox machine will fix that.) It's good to have something on paper, though. I get nervous whenever I'm faced with a blank sheet of paper, and it's hard to force myself to actually make the attempt, so this is a big step forward for me. 8)
Saturday, January 22, 2011
The Disappearing Nine-Patch is one of the easiest quilts I have ever made. Simpler even than the "First Steps" quilts, which I could make in my sleep. I would rather be working on the French Braid quilt, but I have to create a bunny applique pattern for the center panel before I can put any more of FB together. It's too bad, but you just can't put together quilts from the borders inward. 8)
Friday, January 21, 2011
Here's Dorthy on her trusty old Singer. It's amazing how well the old machines are holding up. I hope my Artista 180 is still plugging along when it's 50.
Wednesday, January 19, 2011
We ordered a 52-90"black tension rod this evening. It should arrive in a few days. We figured a tension rod was by far the easiest way to hang this valence.By this time next week, I hope to have a picture of these curtains hanging at my kitchen window. It will be my first OPAM finish of 2011, and probably the most satisfying (and certainly the oldest) OPAM finish I've ever had!
Monday, January 17, 2011
I also located the missing peacock blending filament this week. What a relief! I think I bought this spool last March when I first realized it was gone. I have a vague recollection of taking a lunch hour to go track it down, but I couldn't swear to it. I love counted cross-stitch; this is probably the most enjoyable project I've worked on all week. Next up: Icky old pinch pleats. 8``(
Sunday, January 16, 2011
The rest of the block shouldn't be nearly so much work or so boring. Wool really is fun to work with, but it's nice to change colors every once in awhile. I think he'll look even cuter once he has his big carrot nose in place. At least this is way more fun that making pinch pleats!
Saturday, January 15, 2011
Friday, January 14, 2011
I have a small problem, this farm doesn't have any ponds, streams, lakes or watering troughs, but I have LOTS of blue yarn. I'm thinking perhaps a stream or a pond might be called for. What do you think? Every farm needs water, right?
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
As you can see, it's almost done, except for the pinch pleats, and there are only five more to do. I've given up trying to make them perfectly even, perfectly spaced and perfectly sewn. Completely. By this time next week, I'm going to have five more slightly askew, somewhat lop-sided and unevenly sewn pinch pleats done, but by all that's holy, they will be done!
Monday, January 10, 2011
Some stitches on the peacock's body require a special blending filament, which I appear to have lost. I'll have to either find where it walked off to, or source it from somewhere else. (This may be what distracted me from this project last year.)
Sunday, January 9, 2011
I'm going to post an update on "Cabin Friends" every Sunday. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep it or give it to my sister as a birthday present, but I'm going to make every attempt to get it done by May. I'm hoping regular blog updates will keep me on track.
Saturday, January 8, 2011
I worked on all four braids at once, one color at a time. This worked well because I could chain stitch the four braids while ensuring I got the braid order correct at the same time. Braids are not at all hard to make, but you have to be very precise with your seam allowances or they'll get all wonky. Mine all turned out to be exactly 32" long and the centers line up nicely, so I guess I was careful enough this time. 8)
I inherited pink, green and blue colorways in similar fabrics that seem destined to be french braid quilts too. I plan to update progress on these quilts each Saturday, or "Quilterday" as my husband keeps calling it - lol. Hopefully that will keep me on track to finish one a month.
Friday, January 7, 2011
It's basically a knit play mat with lots of little farm animals. So far I have just one square of the play mat done. You can see it up there at the top of the picture. Part of my resolution is to do a bit each week and report my progress on "Fiber Fridays". Wish me luck!