Last week, my husband, Larry, posted some of the milestones of refurbishing a neglected vintage sewing machine, taking it from boat anchor (or barn decoration, or attic tenant) to bare metal chassis to (almost) finished, working machine. This week, Larry will walk you through the steps required to get the machine from its initial condition, to moving freely again, and ready to paint. Take it away, Larry!
First, I had to remove the exterior plates and knobs. Many of these parts originally had a shiny chrome finish, and should not be painted like the body of the machine. Also, they will expose inner parts that may need to be removed and cleaned to make the mechanism run smoothly.
Here are before and after pictures, side by side, for each step in the initial disassembly:
|Arm Rock Shaft exposed|
|Arm Cover Plate|
|Slide Plates and Needle Plate|
|Slide Plates, Needle Clamp, and Presser Foot removed, exposing Shuttle Holder|
|Balance Wheel Removed, exposing Bobbin Winder and aged Bobbin Winder Tire|
|Front View of Bobbin Winder|
|Bobbin Winder removed|
|Trapezoidal Plate and |
Thread Tension Regulator
|Trapezoidal Plate and Thread Tension Regulator|
removed, Needle Bar Cam exposed
|Underside - Feed Rocker Shaft (lower) and Shuttle Pitman Shaft (upper)|
|Underside, Shuttle Pitman Shaft and Feed Rocker Shaft disconnected|
|Shuttle Pitman Shaft, Feed Rocker Shaft and Feed Dog Carrier parts|
|Face Plate removed (upper), exposing Presser Foot Rod and Spring, |
Needle Rod, and Thread Take-up Lever
|Face Plate removed (lower), exposing Presser Foot Rod, |
Needle Rod, Presser Foot Lifter and Thread Tension Regulator
|Presser Foot Rod and Needle Rod removed|
Next I started stripping the old paint. I applied paint stripper, let it work a bit, then wiped and scraped the nasty gunk off. There was still a good bit of paint left on (they used some pretty tough stuff back then) so I repeated the process. Again and again. Finally, I got enough off that I was down to the bare metal. Consider this a cautionary tale, this process was so time-consuming and not fun that I decided to consider a different approach for the next machine. Sand-blasting is definitely a faster and better approach.
|Chassis taken down to the bare metal|
Next week: time to start painting!