Friday, March 14, 2014

Which Points West? Finished is Better than Perfect!

I'm glad this one is done!  A-10, "Which Points West?" was a puzzler to me.  I studied the published hints on this one and they did not appeal to me at all.  I just couldn't see myself piecing this block.


The points are so sharp they're practically begging to be reverse appliqued, but there's a problem with that since I hate doing reverse applique!  Now, it's been years since my last attempt, so I decided to give it a try with the melon.  This way I could see if it was as bad as I remembered.  At the very worst it would keep the muslin intact for the whole block, and prevent any shadows from having white over purple.  

It was awful.  It wasn't fun and it wasn't pretty.  No way was I going to do that four more times.  One melon of reverse applique was more than enough.  Back to my favorite:  prepared applique. OK, so the points ended up being more like nubs, and I managed to lose all the curvature that is supposed to be at the base of the triangles.  In fact, each point is wonky in its own "special" way, but it's finished. And finished is better than perfect!

Once again I think I've talked myself out of ever making one of those gorgeous Hawaiian quilts.

4 comments:

margaret said...

your dear jane is coming along well, have yet to start mine and to be honest blocks like this are way beyond my abilities, could do with you looking over my shoulder giving advice when I finally start. Like you i admire the hawaiian quilts

Barb said...

Oh...those Hawaiian quilts are so wonderful.....

viridian said...

I agree it looks great. I pieced for my DJ quilt (all blocks done, now being assembled) but it wasn't easy! Keep going !
I too will not do a Hawaiian quilt, just admire.

Sue-Anne said...

I think your block looks great and when it is all laid out together as one quilt you will be hard pressed to notice how fine or not the points are.