Saturday, February 13, 2010

February Finish - "First Steps" in Yellow, Blue & White

I finished my second "First Steps" baby quilt of the year, maybe I should just call it "Second Steps". 8)
They have the same plush pink backing, which I love, though the pink embossed stars seem to disappear a little bit in the wash. Well, it WAS much cheaper than actual Minkee. 8)

I've already washed the one (left) that I finished in January. It only shrunk up about 1/2", but what a big difference that makes, I think. The unwashed yellow one looks very different to me.
I'm completely out of this striped binding fabric now, I'll have to bind the toddler in waiting with something else. ;) After that, I'll only have one more "First Steps" top left. That one is going to get a backing of really pretty turquoise Minkee. Then I'll only have one quilt top left. I'll have to start actually quilting again!
This year I'm planning to make quilts out of my stash based on what backing fabric I already have. Otherwise it never fails that I use up a bunch of scraps for the top, then have to buy lots of the perfect backing fabric to finish it off. I end up with LOTS more scraps than I started with. Anyone else ever have this problem, or is it just me? lol

5 comments:

Barb said...

Love the quilts and what a wonderful idea to find the back first...

Sue-Anne said...

Your quilts look great. I love it when a top finally gets quilted - gives them yet another dimension.

I can totally relate to the scrap issue!!!

Jacqui's Quilts said...

Yup, happens to me too with the scraps...they seem to multiply LOL. Great quilts!!

Sharon MLS said...

What a cute quilt! Congrats on your OPAM win!

Linda Augsburg said...

Beautiful quilts! Love the colors and the pattern! When I see a fabric I like, but can't see it in a pieced quilt, and it's on a really great sale, I buy three yards so I can save it for a back. And Susan, the scraps I have.....