Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Tatting Tuesday - Second Wing Progress

Progress on the second wing of the Snow Dragon is pretty slow.

It is quite a complicated pattern, and easy to go astray. But I think I'm getting comfortable with the pattern, if I would only stop making mistakes.


Monday, August 31, 2015

Harlequin Johnny - Building the curves

I am deep into paper-piecing the Harlequin-Johnny piano key setting triangles.  What a lot of work this has turned out to be. Confusing too.  I'm trying to keep the colors in the right order, you can see my cheat sheet taped to the sewing machine for easy reference.

I had to cut lots and lots of strips, all about 1.5" wide, but of varying lengths.  All told, I need strips of seven different lengths.  I am running low on several of the fabrics.  That lonely pale turquoise strip in the middle of the cutting board is my very last piece of turquoise.  I am cutting it VERY close.  

I'm doing all strips of the same length at the same time, starting at one edge and moving across the paper.  Here I have all the strips of a single length sorted in order, waiting to be paper-pieced to the setting triangles.  They don't look like they are the same length, do they?  Well, at least they need to cover the same amount of paper.

Many of the strips needed ironing.  Larry helped me out with this tedious chore.

And here is my least favorite task:  ironing the strips after they have been sewn.  I'm sewing a strip to each of the sixteen setting triangles, then trimming all 16, then ironing all 16.  Lather, rinse repeat.  It is interesting to see the sets grow, but argh!  There are thirteen strips per setting triangle.  They are too large for my Clover craft iron, so I am moving the whole bunch to the ironing board between sewing on each strip.  I am ready to be done with these.

Is it time for a nice Dear Jane block yet?  I am SO ready!  Maybe I will do two blocks this time.  lol

Happy quilting!
Susan in Texas

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Six on Sunday - Week 16

I went up into the attic for Six on Sunday this week, to look through some racks of old clothing we had put up there years ago. Essentially all of the clothing up there was Susan's, so I brought some down, and she picked the items to let go of. 

Two coats, a suit, a dress, pair of slacks (w/ belt) and a sweater - 9 pounds

Since there weren't enough of my items to discard, I also pulled down a box of old computer stuff.  Some of the disks were for my old Apple IIe, which must make them nearly 30 years old!  Even if I still had a working 5.25-inch floppy drive, the information on them has probably long since been randomized by the heat of the attic.

Pair of sweatpants, manuals and disks from Apple IIe and Macintosh computers,
two different printers and at least 3 old games - 9.5 pounds

And, as a bonus, I also get to throw away an old, decrepit box!


Thursday, August 27, 2015

Harlequin Johnny - Hope I have enough fabric!

For the Harlequin Johnny quilt, I have cut all of the light turquoise fabric that I have.

This is the last of it
I hope that this will be enough to finish the quilt...


Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Tatting Tuesday - One-Winged Dragon

I finally completed the first wing of the Minor Norwegian Flying Dragon.

Minor Norwegian Flying Dragon - One Wing Complete
It was very complex, using two shuttles at once almost throughout, and switching primary shuttle back and forth on alternate rows. And joined to the body in several places on the last row.

Now I can start working on the other wing!


Monday, August 24, 2015

Wordless Monday

Another Baby Jacket Complete!


Six on Sunday - Week 15

While visiting Grandma this weekend, we decided to do a Six on Sunday at Dad's house instead of ours. After a couple of false starts (big boxes of stuff that needed too much review time), we settled on a small box of items.

Small Box Contents
From this collection, we decided to sell nine things:

Airline fan, eyeglass repair kit, memorial coin, playing card holder, solar calculator, glass stopper,
earring, cross, hiking patch and pin collection - 0.5 pounds
And to discard another six things (1.0 pounds):
Silk Flower, Membership Cards, Chinese Shoe Polisher

Backpack Pole Caps, Projector Foot Pads

Old ID badges

The rest we can put to use ourselves.


Friday, August 21, 2015

Confetti Baby Jacket

Grandma has been keeping me busy with her baby jackets.  Isn't this confetti one adorable?  I still have to finish off the armhole edges and weave in the ends, then it is off to Grandma's house to select a ribbon.

Thank God it's Friday!

Happy quilting,
Susan in Texas

Thursday, August 20, 2015

Gifts from Silverton

Larry got back from seeing his Dad and his sister's family yesterday.  He took the shuttle and the train, and I picked him up at the station in downtown Fort Worth.  Much better than driving out to the airport during rush hour.  And he brought me presents:  three darling cards, with actual knitting and a real nine-patch block on them!

I teased him about finding a fabric store, and he teased me right back by finding one.  It is apparently call the Hi-School Pharmacy and is an amalgamation of a drugstore, craft store and a hardware store... which had fabric too.  

Larry went straight for the batiks (I think I will keep him.)  I am thrilled with his selection, and also with the fact that he asked the locals where he could purchase fabric, then walked there.  It is very good to have him home; he is the sprinkles on my cupcake!

Happy quilting,
Susan in Texas