Saturday, May 5, 2012

I'm back, at least for now

The last time I posted I sure didn't think it would take me until May to post again, but life happens.  My father-in-law had a car wreck in January, spent 10 days in the hospital and over 2 weeks in rehab.  He also lost his driver's license, so we moved him directly from rehab into an independent living facility near his home.  Note I said near HIS home; it's 224 miles door-to-door from OUR home.  He has since made a complete recovery, so it's all good.

And then there's his house. Sigh. See Dad is a hoarder. Not the trash-picking, buy-everything kind you see on TV, just the never, ever throw anything out kind that many of us are related to. It was impossible to do anything about it while he lived there, but we have been making progress since he moved. The office was the worst.

but the whole house was affected.  So far we have recycled 31 bins of paper, 28 bins of waste, and broken down dozens of boxes.  The house has been elevated from "hoarder" to "pack-rat" status; just don't open any closets and it looks fairly normal.

And then there's the decor...  but first, we enjoyed a lovely spring.  The azaleas gave us a beautiful show this year, but look through the open door.  Yes, that's lime green toille wallpaper over robin's egg blue wainscot.  Seriously.  It was like a slap in the face as you walked through the door.

It took us two full weekends just to paint the entry, but it was worth it.  It's very zen now. 

Doesn't it have a cool door?  I painted that window, no tape, just slow and steady.

Larry had to repair the water-damaged ceiling in the hallway.  He does terrific work!  So many doors, and they all used to be bright blue.

We brought the rugs from home.  The pictures were hanging all over the house, mementos from their trip to China in the mid-90's.

This fellow guards the door.

There's even one that is embroidered.

My inlaws traveled all over the world and brought back so many treasures, many of them still in their boxes under piles of paper.  It's been a real treasure hunt.  We are nowhere near done, but the house is so much better.  We've been having dinner parties for Dad and Sabra, and the whole family celebrated Easter together in the house.  Grandma Vivian (Dad's MIL) and Sabra are just tickled that it's livable again.  Dad likes what we've done with the house, but I think he still misses his papers.


Mary said...

Holy cow, what a job. Glad Dad is ok. Is he going to go back there to live? I know what it is like to do this job. My Dad lives in an assisted living community by my house, he still saves everything!! "You just never know when you might need it."
Glad you are alright as well.

Flo @ Butterfly Quilting said...

It is a big job! We just went through that with my mom's house. She had every card that was ever given to her...every button and zipper that was ever worn!
You have done a great job!

Cicero Sings said...

My but you HAVE been busy. Such a job to sort and clean. I get exhausted just thinking about all you've done. It really looks good by the way. Very nice job. My Mom actually did a lot of downsizing herself but it was amazing what still had to be done when she moved into a care home and all within a month or so of her moving.

Barb said...

You certainly have been working hard. Is he going to come back to his home? YOu have it looking so nice. I would say that if you went to one of my bedrooms where my stash is and finshed projects, you might consider me a hoarder.

Terry said...

Oh My...such a huge job! I hate to think about helping my MIL clean out her house...impossible task, I'm afraid. Glad to hear he is doing better. And very glad to see you back among us bloggers. Take care.