Sunday, May 25, 2014

"Harlequin Johnny", my New Bedroom Quilt Project

After MUCH laboring over color choices, my husband and I finally selected a new paint color for our master bedroom, "Lakeshore" by Sherwin Williams.  My DH did a terrific job with the painting; the pictures are hung; the master bathroom has been painted to match, but now the old pink & white quilt on the bed totally does not match.

I played around in EQ7, finally settling on this design:


I'm calling it "Harlequin Johnny" in honor of the two blocks that make up this on-point quilt, "Harlequin" and "Johnny Round the Corner".  

"Harlequin" (seen in the top row of the quilt) contains yellow edge pieces.  My design puts this typically "on-point" block on its side, leaving the center squares sitting flat.  I've kept the characteristic harlequin two-toned corners around the center square, but muted their impact by making them shades of blue.

"Johnny Round the Corner" contains no yellow, and this design puts its center square on point.  I love "Johnnie's siggy square corners.  Can you see them?  There are four tiny little siggies per block.  I love siggies, so these are a treat!

I purchased these fabrics  and this fabric in Phoenix specifically for this quilt.  My DH helped me select the colors.  I have never made a queen sized quilt before, so I'm definitely planning to send it out for quilting.

The look of it reminds me a tiny bit of Celtic Solstices, which I love, by Bonnie Hunter, but I'm afraid it's going to be harder to put together.  Let's just say that I should be really good with cutting weird angle pieces and sewing slightly inset seams after I finish piecing this bad boy!  Wish me luck.  ;)

3 comments:

suemac said...

Good luck. I think you will be pleased with the results.

margaret said...

this is going to be spectacular lots of cutting to do, that is the part I least enjoy. I am pondering on EQ7 as a friend has an earlier version and am very tempted but it is rather pricey

Chookyblue...... said...

goodluck.........love the look............