Monday, August 18, 2008

Fantasy Pony Update

I thought I would be clever and fill plenty of bobbins ahead of time so I wouldn't have to stop in the middle of stippling to wind some more. I thought 6 bobbins would be a good start. lol I haven't quilted anything as large as Fantasy Pony in a long time (60" x 60"). Six bobbins got me through about half the quilting. I'm really pleased with the thread match and with the quality of the bobbin thread itself. I had never used Presencia thread before, at least I think that's what it's called. I love the cheap (40% off) backing fabric I found at Hobby Lobby. I think the thread-fabric color match is dead on too.

Presencia is a lovely 100% cotton thread that comes cross-wound on a large silver grey spool. Very little pilling, no breakage and almost completly tangle free. I wish I could say the same for the Premium Sulky 30 wt. All-Purpose mercerized cotton I'm using on top! I bought it because it is variagated in color from a greenish yellow to a lovely grass green and coordinates very well with the pony panel, but yikes! I have NEVER had thread break this often. It is by far the weakest thread I have ever used. I replaced the needle, played with top and bottom thread tensions... everything I could think of, and still it breaks repeatedly.

I dislike the thread so much that I was glad my LQS was out of stock when I went back there for more. I might not run out, but if I do I'm going to finish up with a plain, light yellow green Mettler silk-finished thread, which has never let me down yet. And if I have any of the Sulky thread left over when I'm done, then I'm pitching it out! I'll never quilt with it again. Stitch stitch Break! Stitch stitch BREAK! Argh! Seriously, I can just pull the thread apart without it cutting into my fingers at all. That's not normal. Oh well, I need to get back to stippling it instead of just complaining about it. More later.

2 comments:

Marlublu said...

I found your blog through the Quilter's Name List and am so glad I did because I'm just now starting to stipple and had no idea I was going to need so much bobbin thread.I guess i'll be filling bobbins in all colors tomorrow. I really found your blog very informative.

Susan In Texas said...

I'm so glad you found my blog helpful. That's so nice to hear!

Yes, stippling does use lots of thread. Fantasy Pony, which is approximately 60"x60", used up most of a 500 yard spool of thread for just the top, and it is not a terribly large quilt. I think I filled about 10 bobbins. This is about as large a quilt as I am comfortable stippling on my non-long arm machine. Anything larger would be very difficult to maneuver.