Saturday, March 22, 2008

The Pat Tillman Challenge, 42 in 42


The Project Linus group I'm in is having a "make a blanket day" to make quilts for the Pat Tillman "42 in 42" challenge for the U.S.O. at DFW Airport in two weeks. We're all using the "Baby Fats" book by Susan Jackson & Susan Ziegler to make our quilts. "Baby Fats" makes 4 different quilts from 24 fat quarters. My friend, Virginia, and I are each going to make 2 of the quilts. Yesterday we went to JoAnne's in Fort Worth and had fun selecting the fat quarters for the quilts. You're supposed to pick 12 darks/mediums and 12 lights. We decided on a patriotic theme of red, blue and gold with white accents. Virginia quickly got all the fabrics washed and ironed and had them back to me by yesterday afternoon. As you can see, I've been cutting and cutting since then. Each fat quarter is supposed to generate 1-10.5"x10.5", 1-8.5"x8.5", 4-4.5"x4.5" and 8-2.5"x2.5". To get this this mythical amount, each fat quarter must have a minimum dimension of 17.5". Well, after prewashing and ironing, they were barely 17" wide! Only one of the purchased fat quarters was big enough. I had to cut carefully just to get 6 of the smallest blocks per fat quarter; the rest I had to cut out of backing fabric. One of the fat quarters was so short crossgrain that I couldn't get the 8.5" square out of it either. It was lots more work than I had anticipated, but I'm really pleased with how well the colors coordinate. I think all 4 quilts are going to look terrific!

No comments: