Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Siggies from Friends - Sheila and Bea

Today I received two absolutely darling siggies from a friend at work and her Mother. A while ago I asked my friends from the U.S.O. quilting group at work if they would each make a siggy for me. I handed out pre-cut muslin squares and instructions at the last "Make a Blanket Day." These are the very first two dividends I've reaped. It doesn't surprise me one bit that Sheila and her Mom were the first to return their siggies. Those two are the MOST productive sewing team I have ever seen. For the Pat Tillman challenge they stayed up until the wee hours of the morning, completing ALL FOUR of their challenge quilts in ONE DAY! Impressive.
Bea's siggy has lovely embroidered pink flowers on it. Her workmanship is exquisite; the back is as pretty as the front! One of my non-quilting co-workers just couldn't get over how she got her lettering so nicely curved. I told her that perhaps Bea's hand-quilting expertise might be helpful in that area. Bea quilts like the Amish. Seriously. She could put on a bonnet and quilt among them. She told me that she doesn't mark her quilting patterns, she just uses pins as a guide. I would love to be able to quilt like that! I love the way Sheila has done her siggy too. She has appliqued a coordinating flower to the center of her siggy, which gives it a nice structural look that you don't often see. We're both engineers so I guess we both appreciate good solid design elements. Her workmanship is awesome as well. The apple certainly didn't fall far from the tree!
Funny story. I called Sheila by the name of "Gail" for the first 6 months that I knew her. After I finally realized my error, I couldn't think how I had gotten so confused. Then I found out that Sheila has a sister named Gail, and of course, I initially met Sheila and her Mom together. Sheila and I laughed and decided that her Mom had probably called her Gail by mistake and I had picked up on that. As someone who's been called "CindiSueIMean" all her life, I can certainly see how it happened!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed your blog! You have a talent for writing and humor and overall interest to your reader.

I stumbled on your blog by doing a search on International Siggy Swaps...I had never heard of it before. What a wonderful hobby to be able to meet ladies from around the world. Marvelous!

best wishes, sue from California