Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Best in Show and the One that beat Dear Jane

A very deep purple take on the "Little Brown Bird" quilt called "Brown Bird's Lullaby" by Sally Magee of Heath, TX most deservedly won Best in Show at the Dallas Quilt Celebration this past weekend. I got to meet Ms. Magee, who told me that this breath-taking quilt took her a total of 4000 hours to complete; 3000 to do all the applique and 1000 to quilt. She was the first of her friends who are all making this quilt to complete it. (When I told her I had the book she encouraged me to make one of my own.) Here is Ms. Magee beside her masterpiece. I also made a slideshow of many details of this quilt.

"Poinsettias in the Snow" made by Janice Bentley of Dallas and quilted by Richard Larsen, beat out Dear Jane for winner of the "Open Division - Senior" group. Here is a slideshow of the lovely Poinsettias quilt.


"Poinsettias in the Snow" is a beautiful example of an overall applique design with a subtle Christmas theme. The workmanship of the applique and the machine quilting are exquisite, and, as far as I know, it is an original design. (If I'm wrong about that someone please let me know!)

6 comments:

Sue-Anne said...

Both quilts are equally as beautiful as the Dear Jane quilt. It must be hard to be a judge and choose one to be better than the other. Thanks for sharing the photos.

Terry said...

All 3 quilts are beautiful!!!
I wouldn't want to be a judge, that has to be absolutely nerve racking. How do you choose???
Thanks for sharing :)

Hugs,
Terry

Shirley said...

Just glad I didn't have to choose the winner. They are fantastic pieces of work.
Shirleyx

Unknown said...

I wouldn't have wanted to judge that show. Thanks for the show and your time setting this up.

Mary L. said...

Thank you for sharing the pics of these awesome quilts! I love applique and just finished a Dutch Treat and working on a Dear Jane, but will never come close to making something as beautiful as these two quilts.
My husband and I both swap siggies in the International Swap. Email me if you'd like to trade with us.

Linda said...

The winner was well chosen. Just Glad I didn't have to make the choice although I feel like I would have voted for it.
Linda
Texas