Thursday, February 12, 2015

Dear Jane I-1 Ralph & Nelda's Wedding

What could be simpler than Ralph and Nelda's Wedding?  Two tiny nine-patches placed opposite each other and done.  It's nice that dear old Jane throws us a softball every once in a while, especially since the next block about did me in.

I prepared for Christmas vacation in Green Bay by prepping the upcoming appliqued blocks up to the point of hand-sewing.  I believe I had three appliqued blocks prepped.  Surprisingly, I got all three done in Green Bay, even the dreaded J1, which took forever - more on that tomorrow.  I even fired up my Mom's sewing machine to complete two additional paper-pieced blocks.
I-1 Ralph and Nelda's Wedding
The only reason I could do additional blocks in Green Bay is because Larry and I went to My Favorite Quilt Shop in GB and bought more batiks.  MFQS has a wonderful scrap bin ($4 per pound) that was loaded with batiks of every size, shape and color.  I asked Larry to pick out every batik in the bin while I browsed.  I ended up with nearly a pound of gorgeous batiks, along with an equal amount of bright, pretty fabric scraps.  I think we paid $6 for the lot.  

It doesn't take much fabric to make a DJ block, so it was a terrific opportunity to inexpensively expand my batik collection.  I really enjoy going to this quilt store; they have a wonderful collection of batiks, Kaffe Fassett and novelty fabrics.  A trip to MFQS is always on my "must do" list when I visit GB.

1 comment:

Terry said...

Well Susan, you are inspiring me to get my Dear Jane box and get going on it again...I haven't worked it for close to 2 years. I need to get it done :) Your blocks look beautiful!