I am so glad this one is done. The Dear Jane software really messed up the order of work on this block. The foundation pieces created by the software had you making inset seams instead of treating the center section like a simple nine patch. Why would they do that? I questioned the pattern too. The long skinny pieces were supposed to be pieced, with the tiny little point being its own piece, orange onto orange. What is the point of that? I looked closely at L-2 in the book and it did not look as if it was made in two pieces to me, so I combined them.
This block turned out to be more appealing than I thought it would; probably because it is such a cheerful batik. I wonder if my whole mood working on this block was not affected by the fact that the orange fabric was heavily starched. I used to do that because someone recommended it, but it was nothing but trouble, so I stopped. This block is proof, at least for me, that unstarched fabric behaves much better than starched. I have lots of the orange fabric left; I think I will wash out the starch before I use it again. I should have done that in the first place! lol
I am planning to do one more Dear Jane block before switching back to doing Clue 5 of Grand Illusion, which, by the way, has already been removed from Bonnie Hunter's web site. The pattern will not be available again until it gets published in one of her books several years from now.