Saturday, June 21, 2008

One more Shop Hop Stop - Breckenridge

On Thursday Larry and I drove to Breckenridge just to look around and see how it compared to other ski towns. Wouldn't you know, right there on the main drag was a knitting and quilting store called Tea Time. All we had to do was walk up a flight of steps to get to a really lovely small shop, where the proprieter immediately asked us if we would like some tea.
The small space was really captivating, with lots of interesting nooks and crannies. They had a really nice selection for such a small store. I spoke with one of the women working there that day and she said that the store was owned and operated by five women, and they all worked in the store and did not have any paid employees.
As I was checking out, I noticed a magazine they had prominently displayed: "Quilt Sampler" by Better Homes and Gardens. The entire magazine was devoted to "The Ultimate Shop Hop - Ten Top Stores". Wouldn't you know, store #9 on their hit parade was this shop! I couldn't believe it; this was the second time in my life that I have stumbled into a top ten shop on vacation.
The first time was two years ago while vacationing in Canmore, Alberta when I absent-mindedly entered the absolutely fabulous Sugar Pine Quilt Shop, which was rated by a magazine as one of the top ten quilt shops in North America. It too is another second-story gem, with breath-taking mountain vistas in every direction. If you're ever in the Banff area, you MUST go to Sugar Pine! And if you're ever in Breckenridge, Tea Time is a delight. I bought the magazine as a souvenir and was very pleased with the contents. Each of the top ten shops (and they're from all over the country - supposedly culled from over 2500 shops nation-wide) has a project associated with it. Most of them are full-sized quilts and some of them are very clever. Here's the link to the Tea Time article: http://wiki.allpeoplequilt.com/page/Tea+Time+Quilting+and+Stitchery?t=anon Here's the link to this issue of "Quilt Sampler" magazine: http://wiki.allpeoplequilt.com/page/Quilt+Sampler+Wiki I found it by drilling down from http://www.bhg.com/, which is the main Better Homes and Gardens website.

Also, I have to brag on my DH. Larry took these photos with my pathetic phone camera, because our digital camera was recharging back at Avon. Didn't he do a nice job? Every time I use it, the phone pictures come out fuzzy and off-center; these are as good as the ones from the digital camera.

No comments: