Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Albuquerque Quilt Shop Hop - Part 3

The third quilt shop we visited in Albuquerque was probably my favorite of all. It's called Southwestern Decoratives and is located (unlike so many quilt shops) in a brand new building with mile high ceilings.

It was the brightest, freshest quilt store I've ever seen. This picture does not do it justice at all. I think the flash must have messed up.
They had loads of southwestern fabrics, tons of batiks and a huge display of Laurel Burch.






The store ceiling was at least two stories high, and the entire upper wall area above the bolts of fabric was covered with quilts, each one more beautiful than the next. It was really intoxicating! I was especially impressed with the number of really gorgeous, southwestern flavored quilts that they had hanging in the store.
It's hard to pick a favorite, but this Native American quilt might be it.


But then again, this southwestern batik style quilt was a real knockout too! I kept wishing my friend Virginia, who loves the southwestern style even more than I do, could have been here too. I think she would have been in heaven!
I really restrained myself and only purchased a single piece of fabric; a southwestern turquoise print with kid-friendly lizards.
Molly, the woman who rang up my purchase, was happy to be part of my blog. She even let me take her picture twice so I could capture her pretty smile. This was a really great store!

3 comments:

Anne Kraus said...

Susan,
I'm a quilter living in Europe and we recently spent our vacation in the Southwest. I chose to go to Southwest decoratives after finding your website. The ladies were as friendly as you described and the choice of fabrics and patterns just overwhelming. I bought a pattern fora large sampler and a few typical SW fabrics. Thank you for your advice, you (and the ladies) made my day!

p.jaco said...

I loved my visit to this shop last year and can't wait to go back. They are so nice. If I had a quilt shop, this is exactly what I would want to be.

Unknown said...

Are there patterns for the Native American quilts?