Monday, May 11, 2015

Harlequin Johnny - Giant Harlequin Bowties

I want to complete a Harlequin block to verify the best way to do the inset seams.  I believe that making a giant bowtie first is the most uncomplicated method, and will keep the inset portion of the seams nice and short.  It looks like the giant clown tie at this point.


There are 100 of these ears to put together.  The ear sections go together very well, as long as I use nine pins on each ear.  Two pins for each join, one for either end, and one in each of the three flat sections to keep the papers aligned.  Lots of pins!


I pinned through Mad Men and Game of Thrones on the sofa last night and only managed to put nine ears together.  Of course, both shows are very engrossing.  I could probably pin twice as fast through Big Bang reruns.


One advantage to taking forever to make this quilt is that I had time to think up the perfect setting triangle for the on-point block arrangement.  I am going to paper piece piano keys as setting triangles.  It is a good thing I enjoy the process, because this quilt is nowhere near done!

1 comment:

BillieBee (billiemick) said...

Great bowtie! I love Big Bang Reruns....grin, but yes you could probably do more work.